Project Aims & Objectives
The Mapping the Underworld initiative’s Goals:
- To make all stakeholders aware of what can be achieved with various geophysical techniques
- To take the soil conditions into account when planning and interpreting data from various geophysical surveys
- To develop a multi-sensor device capable of identifying all utilities
- To ensure that, in future, no newly installed buried utility is invisible to geophysical utility location devices
- To ensure that records of utility locations are as accurate as possible in three-dimensions
- To make data accessible (in 3-D) and understandable to stakeholders
- To allow all stakeholders to manage safety, financial, social and environmental risks associated with utility location data
- To assess the condition of buried utilities using geophysics
- To promote the use of trenchless technology
Aims of Current Research:
- To research and develop both existing technologies and new techniques to improve the detection rate of buried utilities without the need for excavation.
- To develop a prototype multi-sensor device
- To fuse the data streams together to predict what is buried below the device
- To understand the impact of soil conditions on the detection techniques.
- To control the risks associated with installing or repairing buried assets.